A top Iranian military official said that a new war could break out with Israel at any moment.
Senior Iranian military, judicial and government figures have warned in recent days that the fragile ceasefire with Israel could collapse, with one top commander saying war may break out “at any moment.”
This handout picture provided by the Iranian Army media office on June 23, 2025, shows the new army chief Amir Hatami (C) during a meeting in the Iranian Army’s War Command Room.
This handout picture provided by the Iranian Army media office on June 23, 2025, shows the new army chief Amir Hatami (C) during a meeting in the Iranian Army’s War Command Room. (IMAGE: AFP)
Judiciary spokesperson Asghar Jahangir, Yahya Rahim Safavi — a senior military adviser to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei — and Defence Minister Brigadier General Aziz Nasirzadeh all made statements to state-run media suggesting that the Iranian armed forces remain on alert and prepared for conflict if hostilities resume.
On Wednesday, Nasirzadeh said Iran “has developed new missiles with much greater capabilities than before, which will be used in response to any possible Israeli adventurism”.
“Today we have manufactured and deployed missiles with far better capabilities compared to those used previously, and if the Zionist enemy embarks on another adventurism, we will definitely use these missiles,” he said while speaking to Iranian state-run television.
“We must be prepared for the worst-case scenario. There is no protocol between us and Israel and the US. There is no ceasefire,” said Yahya Rahim Safavi, senior military adviser to Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
Judiciary spokesperson Asghar Jahangir also warned against trusting what he labelled as “baseless promises of its enemies”.
“The United States has not become more rational or wiser; on the contrary, its hostility toward the Iranian nation has intensified,” he said on Wednesday.
In mid-June, Israel launched a bombing campaign against Iran, triggering a war in which Iran responded with missile and drone strikes.
The Israeli offensive killed senior military commanders, nuclear scientists and hundreds of others, striking both military sites and residential areas.
The United States briefly joined the war with strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities.
A ceasefire between Iran and Israel has been in place since June 24.
Iranian officials have since warned that another round of fighting could erupt at any moment, emphasising that Tehran does not seek war but remains prepared for any confrontation.
On Monday, First Vice President Mohammad Reza Aref said Iran should be “prepared at every moment for confrontation”.
“We are not even in a ceasefire; we are in a cessation of hostilities,” he added.